From Craig Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: LICENSE info for ALv2, not ASF
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2016 20:26:14 GMT
As I understand it, LICENSE is for licenses. Period. If advertising is required, the NOTICE
file is used.

If there are third party works included in a distribution that use the same Apache 2.0 license
as any Apache components, the license file already contains the appropriate license.

Section 4 of the Apache 2.0 license discusses whether notice is required. All Apache distributions
contain NOTICEs that call out Apache components. Does the third party distribution contain
NOTICE requirements? Then the Apache distribution that includes the third party needs to contain
the notice about the third party in its NOTICE.

Craig

> On Mar 7, 2016, at 12:06 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com> wrote:
>

> On 3/7/16, 11:21 AM, "Steve Varnau" <steve.varnau@esgyn.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I’m compiling information for LICENSE file for a binary distribution.  We
>> (Trafodion) have a bundled dependency that is Apache-2.0 license, but not
>> part of ASF.  Do we need to call these out in the license file, or only
>> call out the things that are non-Apache-2.0?
>

> Sebb says yes in [1], but IMO, it isn't wrong either way.  Make sure you
> consider the NOTICE file though.  Hopefully Marvin will nail this down one
> way or the other in the next revision of the how-to.
>
> HTH,
> -Alex
>
> [1] http://s.apache.org/qDa

Craig L Russell