From Dor Ben Dov <dor.ben-...@amdocs.com>
Subject RE: [MARKETING] [Caution: Suspicious URL]: Re: [MARKETING] Re: [MARKETING] Re: License question
Date Sun, 21 Feb 2016 19:43:48 GMT
Greg,

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Dor

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregory Chase [mailto:gchase@pivotal.io]
Sent: יום א 21 פברואר 2016 20:18
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [MARKETING] [Caution: Suspicious URL]: Re: [MARKETING] Re: [MARKETING] Re: License
question

Hi Dor,
I did a talk a few months ago about Apache Geode's journey to open source, you might find
some of the information in selecting licenses useful:
https://lnkd.in/bqfB-p3  <https://t.co/KrNCFkjrmy>

When one selects an Apache V2 license and grants the code and related patents to Apache, they
do so specifically to build a broad, developer-owned, multi vendor community around the technology.
 Compare this with the Spring Framework which is a single vendor community run by Pivotal,
or Cloud Foundry or Docker, which are other foundations with their own specific membership
and governance policies.

Now in terms of how to contribute back to a community, checking in code is one way, but I
like this blog that explains them any other ways people can contribute to a technology community:
http://blog.smartbear.com/programming/14-ways-to-contribute-to-open-source-without-being-a-programming-genius-or-a-rock-star/

-Greg

--
Greg Chase