From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Apache Dataflow Incubator Proposal
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2016 17:17:46 GMT
Hi Marvin,

you raise a point that we have a bit anticipated ;)

We're proposing Apache Dataflow naming because Google Cloud Dataflow is
an already known name and "brand".

The naming is not directly related to dataflow programming: it's more
representative of the data flowing inside a pipeline.

Regards
JB

On 01/20/2016 06:12 PM, Marvin Humphrey wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 8:32 AM, James Malone
> <jamesmalone@google.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> == Abstract ==
>>
>> Dataflow is an open source, unified model and set of language-specific SDKs
>> for defining and executing data processing workflows, and also data
>> ingestion and integration flows, supporting Enterprise Integration Patterns
>> (EIPs) and Domain Specific Languages (DSLs). Dataflow pipelines simplify
>> the mechanics of large-scale batch and streaming data processing and can
>> run on a number of runtimes like Apache Flink, Apache Spark, and Google
>> Cloud Dataflow (a cloud service). Dataflow also brings DSL in different
>> languages, allowing users to easily implement their data integration
>> processes.
>
> In general this seems like an excellent project and a well-thought-through and
> viable proposal -- I certainly anticipate that it will be accepted for
> incubation in one form or another.
>
> However, how does this "Dataflow" project relate to the programming paradigm
> of "dataflow programming"?
>
>      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dataflow_programming
>
> Besides the potential for confusion, it seems like the proposed project name
> would be tough to defend as a trademark.
>
>> With respect to trademark rights, Google does not hold a trademark on the
>> phrase “Dataflow.” Based on feedback and guidance we receive during the
>> incubation process, we are open to renaming the project if necessary for
>> trademark or other concerns.
>
> If a renaming is going to happen, there are advantages to renaming sooner
> rather than later and sparing the community additional disruption.
>
> Marvin Humphrey

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net