incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Ted Dunning <>
Subject Re: Adopting non-ASF AL projects (was Re: [DISCUSS] Kudu incubator proposal)
Date Fri, 27 Nov 2015 00:47:39 GMT
There are two issues, one is the SGA and the other is the contributor
license agreements (ICLA) that are desirable to make sure that all of the
contributors understood that they were contributing under ASL.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 9:26 AM, Owen O'Malley <> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Alex Harui <> wrote:
> > I'm trying to resolve Greg's "opt-out" response, vs Roy's "blessing of
> the
> > original authors" in the link to the archives Owen posted.  I've always
> > assumed that the "blessing..." part meant that any non-ASF code base,
> even
> > ones under AL, had to come in with an SGA signed by ALL of the original
> > copyright holders.
> >
> Apache doesn't want to fork communities, because it generates bad will from
> the other community. Obviously we can legally incorporate any ALv2 code
> into our code bases, but we limit ourselves to friendly adoptions to play
> nicely with others.
> > Specifically, there are two code bases under AL where the major
> > contributors have indicated that they would like our project to take over
> > change-control.  These donations have been held up by trying to chase
> down
> > all of the folks who made smaller contributions and getting them to sign
> > an SGA.  There really isn't any community around these code bases right
> > now, but our project is interested in them because under ASF practices,
> > they can at least get occasional attention without the major contributors
> > having to be involved.
> >
> Is the other community alive? Is there consensus for moving to Apache
> within that other community? Those seems like the right questions. Have you
> started a discussion of moving to Apache on the public list of the other
> project? What was the response?
> Is an SGA needed?  If not, is there a recommended practice for providing
> > notification such that folks who want to opt-out can find out the
> > change-control for code base is moving to the ASF?
>  In my opinion, if the other community is dead or wants to move to Apache,
> the committers ICLA should be sufficient, given that the license is ALv2.
> .. Owen

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message