From Luciano Resende <luckbr1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Project Website Template
Date Sun, 08 Nov 2015 02:40:18 GMT
On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 7:35 PM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:

> +1
>
> I had the same thought when I built Calcite’s site based on jekyll
> (actually cloned from Orc’s site). Thanks for making this template — I’m
> sure it will be helpful to new projects.
>
> We should make it clear that it is optional, of course. But when Calcite
> entered the incubator there were entirely too many choices (and
> opportunities to make mistakes). The whole svnpubsub vs cms question, for
> instance, delayed our web site by about 6 months because we weren’t sure
> whether we could backtrack once we had made a decision. So I think it would
> be useful if there were some default choices to get incubator projects off
> and running quickly.

Exactly, it will be optional, and the goal is to document exactly what a
new project (and sometimes a completely new community) needs to do to get
the website up and running, including the whole workflow, and what to
request from infra.

> I also think it would be useful to provide a template for maven/java based
> projects. There would be a pom.xml, module/pom.xml and
> module/org/apache/foo/Foo.java, and just enough content in the pom.xml to
> be able to make a release by typing “mvn release:prepare … mvn
> release:perform”. If anyone is interested I’ll do it.

I believe this is already available if your "parent pom" inherit from
"apache pom".
See: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/pom/tags/apache-17/

> Luciano, Did you have a place in mind to put your template site? I think
> it would need to be in an apache project, not in github, so that any
> podling can import it without worrying about IP contamination.

I was thinking on a git repository owned by incubator. It would be mirrored
in github mostly for the simplification of collaboration via PR.

When a new projects comes in, it would request a new website git as a fork
from the template, so that in the future it would be able to cherry-pick
enhancements or fixes from upstream.

> Julian

Thoughts ?

--