From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RTC vs CTR (was: Concerning Sentry...)
Date Mon, 23 Nov 2015 12:10:33 GMT
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 5:57 AM, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 5:20 AM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Nobody is forcing anything.
> >
> > Personally, I am saying RTC is destructive, and am willing to give every
> > podling that message.
>
> If it is truly destructive, SHOULDN'T you/we be trying to force
> something?  And if not, doesn't that mean that it isn't really all
> that destructive?

I believe that I represent a minority position, so no... I'm not going to
suggest changes. I wish to forestall more projects falling into the RTC
trap, but (at the moment) don't believe that it makes sense to attempt to
apply mandates against RTC upon existing communities.

>  As a Director, would you consider stop approving reports from ASF
> projects that operate under a RTC model?  If not, aren't you sending a
> mixed message?

I have thought about this, yes. Maybe add a question to the proposal
template, on what form they're thinking about (and where I could debate the
proposal against RTC). And maybe debate podlings who want to graduate under
RTC.

But as a Director, if the community is producing releases, then I find it
difficult to point to RTC as a problem for that community. It is an
unprovable position: there is no way to state their community could be
better off under CTR.

> - Sam Ruby
>
> P.S.  To be clear: I am not a fan of RTC when applied to release.next
> branches.

I'd appreciate your explanation of this, as "most" CTR communities apply
RTC to a branch as they prepare a release. What disturbs you about this
approach?

Cheers,
-g