From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Concerning Sentry: A disagreement over the Apache Way and graduation
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2015 18:27:37 GMT
On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> For me, the key, nay brilliant, terms in the Maturity Model are about "striving."
>
> The question is always, is there demonstrable striving toward the elements identified
in the maturity model.

> If that's not apparent, then one has to wonder, whatever the level of achievement, whether
that's what
> one expects to see in an Apache Project, whatever its tenure.  It's about the journey
the Project (or Podling)
> is on, not a fixed destination.

Exactly! And this is why, in my opinion, quite a few heated discussion
around graduation are totally missing the point. The frame of reference
that gets perpetuated is that somehow the project has to be a perfect
example of a TLP.

That is, in my opinion, totally counter productive. The project's community
has to demonstrate that they get where the gaps are and they are striving
to address those in a meaningful fashion (*)

Thanks,
Roman.

(*) for the purists on this thread: yes I know that there are certain parts
of the curriculum that have to be mastered as the basis for graduation.
Which, come to think of it, the maturity model also calls out explicitly.