From Justin Mclean <justinmcl...@me.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] TinkerPop 3.1.0-incubating Release
Date Sun, 22 Nov 2015 22:42:48 GMT
Hi,

> anyway, I've read it again, in the context of what you've said here, and it
> seems like we should not have included the Apache licensed dependencies in
> the binary LICENSE file

Yep that’s correct.

> I didn't change the binary NOTICE files as I believe that their contents
> are just Apache licensed stuff that themselves have NOTICE so given [1]

Not quite correct as you have content that probably shouldn’t be here. I think some of that
come down to if you have two ASF projects with boilerplate NOTICE files but different copyright
years do you need to put anything in NOTICE? From what I’ve seen the answer is no, but someone
more experienced with this may have a clearer idea. You do need need to add that copyright
line if the software is not developed at the ASF.

So IMO there's no need to list Commons Configuration, Commons Logging, HPPC (no notice file),
Http Components Client, the log4j is probably not needed (look at slf4j-api-1.7.12.jar notice
file). [1][2]

The only Apache licensed software that I can see that would effect NOTICE are:

Apache Commons Codec (AL ASF):
"src/test/org/apache/commons/codec/language/DoubleMetaphoneTest.java
contains test data from http://aspell.net/test/orig/batch0.tab.
Copyright (C) 2002 Kevin Atkinson (kevina@gnu.org)”

Apache Commons Lang (AL ASF):
This product includes software from the Spring Framework,
under the Apache License 2.0 (see: StringUtils.containsWhitespace())

Apache Groovy:
"This product includes software developed by
The Groovy community (http://groovy.codehaus.org/).”

Apache HttpCore (AL ASF):
"This project contains annotations derived from JCIP-ANNOTATIONS
Copyright (c) 2005 Brian Goetz and Tim Peierls. See http://www.jcip.net”

Apache Ivy (although the BSD portion should probably be in LICENSE).
"Portions of Ivy were originally developed by
Jayasoft SARL (http://www.jayasoft.fr/)
and are licensed to the Apache Software Foundation under the
"Software Grant License Agreement"

SSH and SFTP support is provided by the JCraft JSch package,
which is open source software, available under
the terms of a BSD style license.
The original software and related information is available
at http://www.jcraft.com/jsch/.”

And the copyright line from any software that is Apache licensed but not developed by the
ASF. e.g. Netty. Other non ASF Apache software i.e. SnakeYAML, JavaTuples, Hawtjni, Jbcrypt
and HPPC  all have missing or broken notice files so up to you. (Hawtjini is bundled in jline-2.12.jar
BTW).

And finally Netty which has lots of issues. The Netty NOTICE file incorrectly includes BSD,
MIT and Apache licensed bits and also lists out all dependancies not what is just bundled.
[3] Really up to you on how you want to deal with that but from what I can see nothing should
be included in NOTICE. It may be that some of these if they are bundled should actually go
in LICENSE (for the permissive BSD and MIT licensed items). Any Apache software may also effect
the NOTICE file but I’ve not checked them all. e.g It’s likely that Apache Harmony notice
text would need to be added. [4]

Apache Harmony notice:
"Portions of Harmony were originally developed by
 Intel Corporation and are licensed to the Apache Software
 Foundation under the "Software Grant and Corporate Contribution
 License Agreement", informally known as the "Intel Harmony CLA”.”

It doesn’t help or make it any easier when the jars you are including have incorrect or
missing LICENSE and NOTICE files or the Apache licensed bundled bits are missing or have incorrect
NOTICE files.

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#bundle-asf-product