From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: RTC vs CTR (was: Concerning Sentry...)
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2015 16:24:12 GMT
+1

Although an individual taking the RTC route is a bit different than there being a local policy
that requires it.  This has been addressed subsequently on this thread, but I am struck by
Bertrand's simple statement.  It inspired a different way of looking at RTC vs CTR.

It is a community strength, and even related to having committer karma at all, that folks
are considered trustworthy to make changes (C[TR]) in repositories where they are competent
and careful, and that they are trusted to know the difference where RTC is called for when
they are not so confident and consider determination/review as a way of avoiding unintended
consequences.

There is also the safeguard that review is always possible and, indeed, we are presumably
talking about the one place where vetos count.

That does not mean mistakes do not happen, that no one is ever hasty, bull-headed, etc., etc.
 We're all human and these projects are human enterprises.  The idea is that mutual trust
based on a shared commitment prevails as a guiding force through the hurly-burly of all that.
 And out of that, a trustworthy (not some abstractly perfect) outcome is achieved.  By trustworthy,
to be clear, I mean that the result shows care for the ultimate recipients of the work and
when there are breakdowns, they are resolved in a manner that demonstrates that care.

It seems then, that having some sort of blanket policy one way or the other is about some
magical view of a perfection where there is none to be found, only folks stumbling along doing
their best.  We want to honor that, and the guiding principle is that community is where it
arises.

 - Dennis

PS: From another context, but one that might be useful here: To be trustworthy, one must first
be willing to trust.  (From this, you could surmise why I personally find ALv2 preferable
to GPL in the work that I do and why I find ASF's approach to serving the public good so harmonious.)