From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Incubator PMC/Board report for Sep 2015 ([ppmc])
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2015 18:48:55 GMT
On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
> FWIW, Exactly the same thing happened to Calcite. Missed July, reported in
> August, was asked to report in September. Rather than quibbling, I filed a
> report.

Nice!

While we strive to get the reminders right, they're just reminders.  (P)PMCs
really ought to take ownership of reporting: know why it is important, and
know what the schedule is.  "But I didn't get a reminder" is not an excuse for
not filing a report; on the flip side, the expected response to receiving
a reminder in error is to assert the correct schedule, but projects can
certainly file out-of-cycle reports at their discretion.

The act of preparing a good report each quarter, one which accurately and
thoughtfully assesses the state of the community, is a fundamental aspect of
ASF decentralized self-governance.  The Board wants to hear what is really
going on and gets very impatient with boilerplate filler reports, but they
don't want to get involved.  They'd rather hear how the community itself is
solving problems and meeting challenges.

> (With luck we’ll be graduated before December.)

Right on!

Marvin Humphrey