From Andy Seaborne <a...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should Apache VOTEs be in a first-come, first-serve queue?
Date Mon, 14 Sep 2015 18:56:58 GMT
On 14/09/15 17:26, Marko Rodriguez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It appears that VOTEing in general@ is inefficient and biased. An Apache member will
see a VOTE on the list and can choose whether to participate in that VOTE or not. I believe
there are problems with this algorithm. The first has to do with efficiency. For instance,
Groovy received (out of my foggy memory) some 20+ VOTEs when only 3 were were needed and other
project VOTEs were sitting around hoping for an Apache member to spend time on their project.
Second, if no Apache member really cares about the project's VOTE, then the project committee
is left "hoping" that someone will care --- pinging around to their mentors (no reply), to
the list ("please")… like beggars in the street.

> Should general@ have a VOTE queue where if an Apache member has time to VOTE they can
only VOTE on a project at the top of the queue. They can not pick which projects to VOTE on.
This solves the two aforementioned problems:

> 	1. Apache member attention is not wasted on low-entropy states (why are 20 +1 VOTEs
needed -- no new information is contributed).
> 		- increased efficiency
> 	2. Apache member attention is not biased by human whim (why are VOTE requests left idle
while later VOTE requests are satiated).
> 		- remove human bias
>
> With a VOTE queue, each project's VOTE requirements are met in the order in which the
VOTE was added to the queue and no project is left pinging mentors and the list saying --
"can someone please VOTE on our artifacts?"

> Thoughts?,
> Marko.
>
> http://markorodriguez.com

There is an implicit assumption of uniformity of voters in that description.

For me, I vote when I know something about what I'm voting on.  So if I
came along with some spare time [*], and the queue head was for
something I don't feel I had the background to be useful, I wouldn't
vote, and that time will go elsewhere.

The effects you describe exist to some extent but I think they reflect
underlying matters, and are not problems per se.

	Andy

[*] This is hypothetical.