From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Rya Incubator Proposal
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2015 16:21:21 GMT
As specified in the proposal, I'm happy to volunteer as a mentor
(currently a member, haven't officially requested to join IPMC).

<snip>

> === Inexperience with Open Source ===
>
> The initial committers have various degrees of experience with open source
> projects - from very new to experienced. This project was open source
> within government from the beginning. We do not expect to have difficulties
> in operating under Apache's development process.

This statement struck me as a little odd. While I understand that you
tried to operate as an open source project, it seems impossible by
definition to be open source. My biggest concern would just be that you
are aware that you will have difficulties transitioning to a real open
codebase and growing a community in the open.

> == Initial Source ==
>
> The code is currently available in a private Github repository.
> https://github.com/LAS-NCSU/rya

What's the plan to make this a non-private repo?