From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: [NOTICE] corinthia PPMC+committer -= dortef, franz, gbg, ianc, jani, louis, pmkelly
Date Mon, 07 Sep 2015 01:11:57 GMT
I can speak to the specific case.

The desire is to adopt Qt as the best-choice, most-cross-platform GUI framework for Corinthia
on the desktop.  The non-commercial, open-source license for Qt is LGPL/GPL.  See <http://www.qt.io/download-open-source/>.

As I understand it, a second-thought alternative to full-up dependence on Qt is to make an
experimental implementation that employs a wrapper API under which a Qt-specific integration
layer is introduced.  The Qt integration layer is meant to be optionally replaceable by an
alternative one and corresponding framework under the wrapper API.  The wrapper API and integration
layer for any functionally-equivalent integration/replacement is TBD.  A cautionary concern
was raised about the prudence of having an optional-replacement of an LGPL dependence rather
than an optionally-employable LGPL dependence.

No specific proposal or request for any sort of exception is at legal-discuss or the LEGAL
JIRA.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Jochen Theodorou [mailto:blackdrag@gmx.org]
Sent: Sunday, September 6, 2015 09:23
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [NOTICE] corinthia PPMC+committer -= dortef, franz, gbg, ianc, jani, louis, pmkelly

Am 06.09.2015 04:22, schrieb Dave Fisher:
[...]
> Also Apache needs a release policy for binaries that would allow the best UX/UI API for
the platform to be used even if it is GPL. If you have subscribed to legal-discuss the last
few months you know why that discussion was impossible. If that can be worked out then at
least it would help other projects.

can you explain the case a bit? Do you link statically? What is the license?

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou