From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: apache binary distributions
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2015 08:53:02 GMT
Am 17.08.2015 10:45, schrieb Branko ─îibej:
[...]
> So wait ... If the Subversion PMC releases source, and, say, Debian
> creates a binary package called 'subversion-x.y.z' ... you're saying
> that's trademark infringement and we should be telling all the people
> who produce binary packages to stop using our registered trademark? Really?
>
> Producing binaries is different from creating a derived work. Even if
> packagers change the sources (which they often do, in minor ways, to
> tune the build to their platform), it's less than sane to tell them they
> should rename the packages because of that.
>
> It would be different if their changes resulted in changed
> functionality, but that's not what's happening.

My take so far is: The PMC decides upon if they want to allow for that
or not. So the Subversion PMC could forbid the redistribution of
packages named subversion-x.y.z... But that does not mean they have to.
Where the PMC should get active in such matters is if something claims
to be subversion, but really is not. But again the PMC is responsible
for that.

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou