From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: apache binary distributions
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2015 08:29:40 GMT
Am 06.08.2015 08:22, schrieb Niclas Hedhman:
> On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I honestly see no problem with that, again provided that the artifact can
> NOT
>> be confused with the one coming from Apache project.
>
> I think the "problem" lies in Trademarks. Debian's Tomcat7 is labeled
> "Servlet and JSP engine" and its Tomcat8 is labeled "Apache Tomcat 8 -
> Servlet and JSP engine", yet I don't see Apache Tomcat project
> creating/maintaining a Debian dist.
>
> Now, is Debian allowed to call it "Tomcat"? Is it allowed to call Tomcat8
> to BE "Apache Tomcat8", when in fact(!) there are changes to the source,
> such as the start script in Debian Tomcat is not original of Apache Tomcat,
> but instead follows a Debian template for how those scripts should be
> written. I am not sure what all the changes are, feel free to check;
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-java/tomcat8.git/tree/debian/patches
>
> IF (like Mozilla) Apache decides to strike down on Debian and not allowing
> it to use the same names, _I_ think it is a disservice to the users
> (IceWeasel browser), but as it stands, Apache trademark licensing seems to
> not really be followed (Perhaps Debian has some permission that was granted
> long in the past... I may have missed that).

I think there is nothing in the apache license 2 forbidding the usage of
the project name or even apache (version 1.1 and 1 have been different
and did indeed require a permission). The trademark weapon is more one
of last resort. For example to go against false releases with malicious
code added and the distributor not willing to take it of the web.

At least I hope no-one has some crazy idea as that ;)

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou