From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: apache binary distributions
Date Fri, 28 Aug 2015 22:10:24 GMT
[Not cross-posting to a private list.]

Dave,

I don't exactly understand what it is expected that trademarks@ would be doing or clarifying
with regard to your specific Foo Manchu case.

Please explain what you mean by a percentage.

 - Dennis

PS: How do you see a case where the Manchu project makes nothing more than nominative mentions
of Foo and Foo is not used at all in the naming of the Manchu product?  Are specific instances
of the use of Foo in a manner that would confuse Manchu with Foo what you have in mind for
bringing to an Apache Foo PMC?

PPS: I assume we are talking about something other than how third parties use and attribute
ALv2 licensed code one way or another.  I'm not certain how trademark enters there.  There
is related discussion on legal-discuss, however.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher [mailto:dave2wave@comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, August 28, 2015 14:35
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Cc: trademarks@apache.org; stephen.alan.connolly@gmail.com
Subject: Re: apache binary distributions

Again mixed. Let's substitute a real case.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 28, 2015, at 6:21 AM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>
> (Please note mixed private/public lists)
>
>> On 8/25/15 5:17 PM, Stephen Connolly wrote:
[ ... ]

>> package-name: foo
>>  Apache Foo is a framework for doing bar.
>>  Apache, Apache Foo and Foo are trademarks of the Apache Software
>> Foundation.

Foo = OpenOffice
Manchu = LibreOffice

This is the reality in Linuxland without the attribution. This has been going on for sometime.
I think since prior to Oracle's grant.

Rolling that back should be a goal for the PMC.

Maybe we diff the codebases and accept a percentage. This standard might the encourage upstream
contribution.

I would like to formulate this idea for the AOO dev list. The above has really helped me crystallize
what I've been kicking around in my mind for months and months.

Thoughts before I take it there?

I know I'm not following Shane's thoughts below. OpenOffice is uniquely problematic.

Regards,
Dave

[ ... ]