From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: apache binary distributions
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2015 03:25:04 GMT

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: shaposhnik@gmail.com [mailto:shaposhnik@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Roman Shaposhnik
Sent: Thursday, August 6, 2015 17:51
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: apache binary distributions

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 1:15 AM, Jochen Theodorou <blackdrag@gmx.org> wrote:
[ ... ]
 if PMC produced a release then binary convenience
artifacts are easy: anything that corresponds to that release *could*
be considered an official binary convenience artifact for the release
(see my point above on 3d part vs. PMCs actually producing these
binaries).

IOW, what makes a binary convenience artifact an official ASF
artifact is not whether it got designated as such, but whether it
corresponds to an official source release produced by the PMC.

> Same for links for example to docker image distribution servers...
> or let's say a link to an ubuntu package. On the other hand you
> can put disclaimers on the pages stating they are not official...

But they are. If they correspond to an official release.

> Then again nightly builds should be ok, if they will have the
> same disclaimer?

No. Nightly builds are special precisely because they don't
correspond to an official source release.

> Or is it ok if the nightly build comes from
> non-apache?

It is ok, but at that point it becomes 3d party artifact and as
such can't be promoted as part of ASF project.

> If that is ok, then why does the release document
> not say this and is instead very strict about not promoting anything
> even beyond the dev-list? It does not make sense for me and I
> am going in circles here.

Perhaps the source of confusion is that ironically PMCs are *more*
constrained in what they can do compared to 3dparty. They do get
the Apache Branding rights in return for those constraints, though.

> Of course a third person would be someone unrelated to the project.

Or related. Could even be one of the PMC members. The point
is: it is NOT PMC.

[ ... ]