From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Release Apache Groovy 2.4.4-incubating
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2015 18:28:21 GMT
On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 9:59 AM, C├ędric Champeau
<cedric.champeau@gmail.com> wrote:

> Like it or not, it passed the vote.

Given the logistics of rolling another RC (even with a shortened
window) and the urgency of the release due to security issues, I think
this was a decent outcome.

That said, contended release votes are extremely rare at Apache, and
the release contains some licensing glitches which would ordinarily
merit a respin in my judgment. I considered voting +1 but in the end
decided to abstain.

> (especially because as we said, the License file
> contains more, but not less, than required),

This is not quite the case.

There were some bundled dependencies whose licenses were not noted in
the top-level LICENSE file. This is a licensing documentation bug,
rather than a licensing error -- it does not make distribution
illegal, but it might lead to a downstream consumer failing to uphold
the conditions of the omitted licenses. For example, they may fail to
give proper attribution in a binary redistribution.

Additionally, in the case of normalize.css (hidden inside
stylesheet.css) and FileNameCompleter.groovy, an Apache header was
added inappropriately to files containing BSD-licensed and
MIT-licensed content.  Assuming that the content of those files has
never been licensed under the ALv2, this is a licensing error, and it
is a judgment call as to whether a reasonable consumer would interpret
that header as a mistake.

> and as
> Paul said, all jars produces *do* have them.

Indeed -- I only spot checked, but that's what I saw as well.

Marvin Humphrey