From Kris Popat <krispo...@apache.org>
Subject [Discuss] ORDS to join Apache Incubator
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 12:14:52 GMT
Hello all,

I’m writing to the incubator list because we have a project, which we are very keen to be
incubated in Apache if possible.  It is system created by IT Services at Oxford University
called ORDS which stands for Open Research Database System

At the moment I’m structuring a proposal but need to find a champion and mentors for the
project.

Does anyone have ideas of people who might do this, or be willing themselves?

This is from the first section of the proposal I’m writing.

ORDS pipelines data from recognized sources such as csv files, spreadsheets, and relational
database files into structured online databases to provide “Database as a service” (DBaaS)
functionality. It has a full set of tools for managing and editing these databases including
giving users to ability to create versioned snapshots of data and share specific datasets.
New databases can also be created using these tools.  Databases are housed in projects and
associated with users with given roles. The data can be exported in common formats.

A live version of the system is in use by researchers in Oxford.  You can see the front end
and documentation here http://ords.ox.ac.uk/.

Thanks

Kris Popat

Developer | Consultant Researcher