From Steve Loughran <ste...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: [NOTICE] Yetus TLP proposal
Date Sun, 12 Jul 2015 10:39:10 GMT

> On 12 Jul 2015, at 06:03, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Folks!
>
> There's a community going through board resolution to move from within
> Hadoop to form a new TLP named Yetus. Due to a request on a private list
> we've made a incubator proposal summary of the project.
>
> Proposal:
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/YetusProposal
>
> tl;dr description: Yetus provides libraries and tools that enable
> contribution and release processes for software projects.
>
> The main discussion about the move to TLP is on the common-dev@hadoop list.
> There's a link in the proposal's "Documentation" section for the
> interested. We welcome additional participants.
>
> Additional project discussion will be on the common-dev@hadoop list with a
> subject line that inlcudes "[Yetus]".
>
> --
> Sean

I'm in favour of this. the work initiated by Allen in Hadoop is already in use there, but
it is equally applicable to other projects -including HBase & others as key initial users
will ensure this stuff gets taken up broadly and benefits projects across the foundation.

To see it in work, here's an example of a JIRA with patches going in for review

what you don't see there is that a naming can tell the patch scripts which branch it is against,
which lets you produce patches against branch-2 as well as trunk.

We've been using in the Hadoop team for a while, it has improved our work already.

-Steve