From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: How to setup a Hipchat room
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2015 06:53:05 GMT
On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 12:11 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> apologies for CCing INFRA, but since I'm using
> their prior art perhaps somebody over there could
> share their experience in how they solved it.
>
> What I'm trying to do is to setup a Hipchat room
> for Geode poddling (because, you know, it is 2015
> and everybody's way too hip for good old IRC).
> All  I'm getting out of Hipchat is something like this:
>     https://apachegeode.hipchat.com/chat/room/1584658
> which is nothing like an awesome chat room that INFRA has:
>      https://s.apache.org/infrachat
>
> For one -- anybody who wants to use mine has to
> register with Hipchat and also there seems to be
> some weird limit on the # of folks who can use it.
>
> What am I missing? Is there an ASF-wide Hipchat
> instance that I need to use instead for setting up
> Geode's room?
>
> Thanks,
> Roman.

/me notes that we are mixing public and private lists.

We have apache.hipchat.com - and infra makes heavy use of that. We
have the ability to allow guest access for any of our channels, and
can set that up. However, if you want something other than guest
access, you need to create an account. (and that's a portion of the
problem)
We do not (and won't) operate our own Hipchat service, we are instead
using Hipchat-as-a-Service from Atlasssian. I'm happy to setup a geode
room and, if you push a list of accounts that you'd like to have
access, I am happy to create accounts. Historically we've only created
accounts for folks who have an account, and it might be a larger
discussion if you want folks who are not committers to have accounts.
(though again, guest access might work there)

--David