From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Communicating intent around non-release, downstream integration binary artifacts
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2015 10:11:11 GMT
Am 23.06.2015 07:16, schrieb Marvin Humphrey:
[...]
>> How am I supposed to invite all the downstream developers of the
>> world to start integrating with my awesome feature FOO before it
>> gets formally released when our policy makes statement like:
>> "If the general public is being instructed to download a package,
>> then that package has been released."
>
> Rather than invite them in before you make a release, why not release
> first and then invite them in?
 >
>> Are we really suggesting that I can not present at conference, tweet
>> and otherwise promote the awesomeness of my project based on
>> 'what's coming'?
>
> Why not release before presenting, tweeting, or promoting?

I am not Roman, but my interpretation in combination with the above
would be, that if releases require 72h+ and you cannot just upload it
somewhere and say it is no release, that it takes ages. Something like
continuous delivery for example looks for me impossible with apache.

>> IOW, I would like to focus on answering the question of how can we
>> empower our communities to effectively communicate *their* intent
>> of how *they* expect an artifact to be consumed.
>
> They can communicate their intent by voting on a release.

if every provided download is effectively a release, then you need the
voting and all before you can release... that takes ages. Imagine you do
around 13 releases per year. You will be easily busy with voting for
over two months in total.

bye blackdrag

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou