From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Usergrid 1.0.2 (incubating) RC3
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2015 23:51:15 GMT
Hi,

Sorry it’s +0 (binding) until cat photo license sorted. Seems trivial I know but photographers
generally take copyright of their work seriously and we should;t be using anything without
permission even if it’s just for test data.

I checked:
- incubating in release name
- DISCLAIMER exits
- Some minor LICENSE issues
- NOTICE file OK
- No unexpected binary files
- Possible issue with unlicensed cat photo? (see below)
- Can compile from source

Minor LICENSE issues - but need to be fixed for the next version:
- Missing license for ./portal/css/entypo/entypo.* [1] it’s CC by SA See [2]
- What is the license for ./portal/js/libs/jqueryui/date.min.js and ./portal/js/libs/jqueryui/jquery.ui.timepicker.min.js.
I think this has come up before.
- Missing license for blanket_mocha.min.js. looks to be MIT. [3]
- Missing license for docs/_theme/sphinx_rtd_theme/static/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.svg. It
licensed under SIL. [4]

The software versions are usually mentioned in LICENSE for permissively bundled software see
[5] it would be good if you update your license to following this before graduation. [5] Apache
NiFi does a good job of this [6] (although it uses the long form of the licenses where as
the short form is prefered). Apache Falcon is a good example using the short form [7].

If you have any questions on how to add these to LICENSE just ask.

I notice that there an extra standard apache license in ./stack/LICENSE-2.0.txt. This can
probably be removed and in fact may be missing required bundled bits from ./stack.

Do you have permission to use the file:
apache-usergrid-1.0.2-rc3-incubating/stack/rest/src/test/resources/cat-larger-than-6mb.jpg

If permission has been obtained I would of expected someone the in license file. It’s a
nice cat photo and from the metadata it was taken by Mark Ahrens. A quick google search gives
this:
https://markrahrens.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/farm-cat/

Thanks,
Justin