incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GPL Code in GitHub
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2015 15:45:05 GMT
Releases explained here:

https://www.apache.org/dev/release.html

Basically putting into git/svn is not a release - but as anyone
(practically any committer) can propose a release candidate for voting
based on the code in the source code repository, it should still be
code that is distributable under the Apache License.


On 4 March 2015 at 15:29, Julian Tenney <Julian.Tenney@nottingham.ac.uk> wrote:
>> The following should help the developer understand why we can't accept GPL code in
Apache projects:
>
> The question is more about when does 'distribution' happen? When you put something in
your github? Or when you make a release and the files associated with that release?
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Matt Franklin [mailto:m.ben.franklin@gmail.com]
> Sent: 04 March 2015 15:26
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Re: GPL Code in GitHub
>
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:23 AM Julian Tenney < Julian.Tenney@nottingham.ac.uk>
wrote:
>
>> We have two things that are GPL: one is optional, I don't have any
>> problem with that. I'm trying to get a bit more understanding of the other one!
>>
>> But the point is taken: if that component is needed to make a certain
>> function work, and that function is considered a central part of the
>> software (a feature as it were), then there is a problem.
>>
>> So it follows that any GPL based stuff must be optional, bringing
>> additional functionality.
>>
>> I know the developer is going to ask why can't it live in the repository.
>> But first I'll find out if it is a feature or an option.
>>
>
> The following should help the developer understand why we can't accept GPL code in Apache
projects:
>
> http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
> http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
>
>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Jean-Baptiste Onofré [mailto:jb@nanthrax.net]
>> Sent: 04 March 2015 15:17
>> To: general@incubator.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: GPL Code in GitHub
>>
>> Exactly, that's why I asked ;)
>>
>> Just to be sure, else it's an issue IMHO.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 03/04/2015 04:14 PM, Benson Margulies wrote:
>> > An Apache project may not manage a codebase outside of Apache. Some
>> > people who happen to be members of an Apache community can maintain
>> > code outside of Apache, if they are very clear in distinguishing; it
>> > must not be a product of the project. See 'Apache Extras'.
>> >
>> > On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> > <jb@nanthrax.net>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi Julian,
>> >>
>> >> the code is not included in the project (just a reference) ?
>> >>
>> >> Regards
>> >> JB
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> On 03/04/2015 02:44 PM, Julian Tenney wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> Question: I know I've seen this discussed here before, and in any
>> >>> case, you guys are the best source for an answer:
>> >>>
>> >>> Can we have GPL code in a repository as long as that is not
>> >>> distributed with the product in a 'official' release?
>> >>>
>> >>> Thanks a lot,
>> >>>
>> >>> Julian
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the
>> >>> addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have
>> >>> received this message in error, please send it back to me, and
>> immediately delete it.
>> >>>
>> >>> Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in
>> >>> this message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions
>> >>> expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect
>> >>> the views of the University of Nottingham.
>> >>>
>> >>> This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
>> >>> attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage
>> >>> your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks.
>> >>> Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be
>> >>> monitored as permitted by UK legislation.
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >>> ------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >>> --
>> >>> - To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>> >>> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>> >>>
>> >>>
>> >> --
>> >> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> >> jbonofre@apache.org
>> >> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> >> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>> >>
>> >> -------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >> -- To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>> >> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>>
>> --
>> Jean-Baptiste Onofré
>> jbonofre@apache.org
>> http://blog.nanthrax.net
>> Talend - http://www.talend.com
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
>> and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
>> message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.
>>
>> Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this
>> message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
>> author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
>> University of Nottingham.
>>
>> This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
>> attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your
>> computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
>> communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as
>> permitted by UK legislation.
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee
> and may contain confidential information. If you have received this
> message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it.
>
> Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this
> message or in any attachment.  Any views or opinions expressed by the
> author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the
> University of Nottingham.
>
> This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an
> attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your
> computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
> communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as
> permitted by UK legislation.
>



-- 
Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)
http://orcid.org/0000-0001-9842-9718

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message