From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Podling report reminders didn't go out
Date Sat, 28 Mar 2015 02:47:48 GMT
On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 6:51 PM, Matt Franklin <m.ben.franklin@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The script is fiddly and hard to test.  It's expanded beyond its
>> original scope and probably could stand to be refactored or rewritten.

> Where does it live?

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=infrastructure-puppet.git;a=blob;f=modules/subversion_server/files/board_reminders/reminders.pl

*   900+ lines of Perl.
*   Handles both TLP and podling reminders, plus [other stuff].
*   Has a test mode, but no unit tests.
*   Used to be run manually by Infra until I asked for it to be run on a cron
    while I was IPMC Chair.
*   Needs a local checkout of the Incubator svn using `file://` and has to run
    on subversion master (a security sensitive machine) because `svn up` would
    ordinarily need credentials.  Apparently this was necessary in order to
    get it to run as a cron, though I'm not clear on the details.

The script broke when Subversion master moved machines a few months ago, and
has had various problems since.

I've contemplated writing a quickie Incubator-specific Python version which
fetches report_due_*.txt over http:

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/report_due_1.txt

I think those report_due_*.txt files are all the script needs.

A more ambitious project would be a modularized version with unit tests which
handles all uses cases of the original.  Dunno if other users would be down
with that, though.

Marvin Humphrey