From Dmitriy Setrakyan <dsetrak...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ignite (Incubating) 1.0-RC3
Date Sat, 21 Mar 2015 10:10:55 GMT
On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 2:47 AM, Branko ─îibej <brane@apache.org> wrote:

> On 21.03.2015 05:25, Dmitriy Setrakyan wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com
> >
> > wrote:

> in
> >> If the files don't contain any GPL IP, then what we have is a "licensing
> >> documentation bug": there's public domain IP which is perfectly fine to
> >> include, but it's misleadingly labeled.  Shipping a release which
> contains
> >> such IP does not pose any legal problems.
> >>
> >> Contrast that with a licensing error, such as GPL IP onto which someone
> has
> >> slapped an ALv2 header.  Shipping such a release could leave users and
> >> redistributors open to a claim of copyright violation.
> >>
> >> Licensing documentation bugs can vary from inconsequential to
> catastrophic
> >> depending on how badly they mislead downstream consumers.  It seems to
> me
> >> that
> >> while this one might cause alarm, it shouldn't cause anybody to do
> anything
> >> illegal.  So long as you are *certain* that those *exact* versions of
> the
> >> files are available under Doug Lea's public domain dedication and
> contain
> >> no
> >> GPL mods, I think it's OK.
> >>
> > Thanks for quick response.
> >
> > I am *certain* because these files were initially grabbed from Doug Lea's
> > JSR 166 page. The wrong license headers were added by mistake.
>
> Do you happen to know exactly which versions of those files were
> imported? I looked at the ConcurrentHashMap implementation and compared
> the current version on that site:
>

> http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jsr166/src/jsr166e/ConcurrentHashMapV8.java?revision=1.123
>

> with the one in the Ignite release package, and the differences are far
> larger than just license header changes:
>
>     https://paste.apache.org/p/3SAz

The code for JSR-166 has evolved significantly since we did the initial
import close to 2 years ago, before the JDK8 was officially released yet. I
also tried to find the exact version we imported, but at this point I am
afraid it would be almost impossible. On top of that we have
removed/changed some not-needed code in the migrated classes.

> Sorry, I should've checked this much earlier ...
>
> I would suggest to *not* just remove the license headers in those files.
> Instead, delete the current files and import a fresh set directly from
> the repository at gee.cs.oswego.edu, then mention in NOTICE that they
> were imported from there, not from OpenJDK. Also please add a README
> file to the directory where those files are imported and note the exact
> versions of the imported files (maybe best to just list the ViewCVS
> download URLs, like the one above).

Yes, absolutely agree. I have created a ticket in Ignite JIRA, IGNITE-545,
to address this.

> Once you've imported the original files, you can, e.g., change the
> package name and make other minor modifications. The point is to have an
> audit trail of changes from the public-domain original to whatever we
> ship; currently, the Git log shows no such trail.

Yes, agree. Unfortunately this code was moved and renamed several times
since it was initially migrated. I am pretty sure that GIT origins of the
code are not clearanymore.