From Jochen Theodorou <blackd...@gmx.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Ignite (Incubating) 1.0-RC3
Date Sun, 22 Mar 2015 10:04:06 GMT
Am 22.03.2015 00:09, schrieb Marvin Humphrey:
[...]
> Because "release candidate" and "RC" are specialized terms with
> precise meaning at Apache and because we make a strong legal
> distinction between "released" and "unreleased" code, this is
> extremely confusing.  Having something named "RC" which is also an
> official Apache release is... gah, it makes my brain hurt.
>
> Please consider adopting different terminology in the future --
> "alpha", "beta", "golden master candidate / GM candidate", etc.

Being new at Apache...how is RC and "release candidate" related to
"released" and "unreleased code"?

Normally a release candidate is code ready for release, that if nothing
has been found, will result in a full blown release with unchanged code
base. The terms alpha and beta don't catch that at all. They are for
earlier versions. I did never hear of "golden master candidate / GM
candidate". So what is a generally understandable wording for RC if RC
is not supposed to be used here.

bye Jochen

--
Jochen "blackdrag" Theodorou - Groovy Project Tech Lead
german groovy discussion newsgroup: de.comp.lang.misc