From Shane Curcuru <...@shanecurcuru.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Groovy Incubation proposal
Date Wed, 11 Mar 2015 22:23:14 GMT
On 3/11/15 4:20 PM, Martijn Dashorst wrote:
> Great initiative!
>
> Just one question: I don't see anything related to the groovy name and
> possible trademark in the proposal. Does Pivotal have any claims to
> the name groovy, and if so are those claims transferred to the ASF?

Good point.  Just from the Apache *policy* side, the ASF must have
trademark rights to a podling's name before the board will approve a
graduation vote.  With such a long history, we would need a clear
statement of some sort from whoever was previously hosting Groovy
software product releases, which would seem to be Pivotal.  Or, the
podling would have to choose a new name that we did have rights to.  8-)

If the PPMC requests it, we can then register the project's name as a
trademark in the US *after* graduation.

If this podling joins the incubator, please coordinate some Groovy PPMC
and Pivotal contacts with trademarks@.  Presuming Pivotal is willing
(and I can't imagine why they wouldn't be), trademarks@ can ensure the
right stuff gets done.

- Shane