From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Soliciting feedback for a detailed pTLP policy document
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2015 18:47:51 GMT

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org
> <mailto:cutting@apache.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 5:31 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@apache.org
>     <mailto:rvs@apache.org>> wrote:
>      > At this point, I would like to open this document for soliciting as
>      > wide a feedback as possible. I would like to especially request
>      > attention of the ASF board members who asked for this type of
>      > a document to be available.
>
>     As a director, I still don't think the board needs to be involved in a
>     pTLP's "graduation".  As far as I'm concerned, any "provisional"
>     status is self-imposed by the PMC and can be removed at its pleasure.
>      From the board's perspective it's either an ASF project or it's not,
>     there's not a useful middle ground.  As a project it needs to provide
>     reports, release according to accepted standards, operate openly, etc.
>     It may be a young project, with a PMC dominated by old-timers who
>     aren't responsible for much of the contribution, but I don't see why
>     that requires a new formal status any more than we need a formal
>     status for old, slow-moving projects that rarely release.
>
>     Put directly, what does a pTLP's "graduation" change from the board's
>     perspective?  How should it change the way we review the project's
>     reports, etc.?  In short, why should we care about this label?  If a
>     PMC wishes to call itself "blue" that's fine too, but we don't need a
>     resolution when it decides to call itself "purple".
>
> What's your view of 'incubation disclaimers'? The above paragraph makes
> most sense to me if there are none for pTLPs.

Can I answer your question with a question?  What's your view of
"emeritus" PMC members?

 From my point of view, I am OK with PMCs exploring placing disclaimers
on releases, and OK with PMCs choosing to track emeritus PMC members.
And once a PMC is established, it indicates a level of trust the board
has in that group to self govern.

As to podlings, I don't see them as yet having earned that trust.

>     Doug

- Sam Ruby