From Julian Tenney <Julian.Ten...@nottingham.ac.uk>
Subject RE: GPL Code in GitHub
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2015 15:15:22 GMT
Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Stian Soiland-Reyes [mailto:stain@apache.org]
Sent: 04 March 2015 15:14
To: general@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: GPL Code in GitHub

It depends how you integrate it - you can't put LGPL or GPL stuff into distributions from
Apache - and you can't really do a release that is incomplete without it (e.g. "To make X
work, download the GPL library Y and put it into lib")

Optional dependencies (e.g. plugins) should however be fine to be externally managed - but
you have to make it very clear that they are not affiliated with Apache.

For instance for Apache Taverna we had an in the pre-incubator code some optional plugins
that have LGPL dependencies, so we simply put them at https://github.com/taverna-extras and
link to it from http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/download/code/#taverna-extra as "independent
community-submitted plugins".

A common thing is mysql-client.jar which is GPL - so as long as your code is happy to work
with other JDBC drivers (why wouldn't it?) you can just have instructions on how to download
it and put it in lib/ for those that are happy to use mySQL - and have some other reasonable
default otherwise (e.g. Apache Derby)

--
Stian Soiland-Reyes
Apache Taverna (incubating)