From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next steps for various proposals (mentor re-boot, pTLP, etc.)
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2015 03:17:15 GMT
On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 5:03 PM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com>
wrote:

> > Statements like shepherds dilute mentor responsibility are false. A
> shepherd
> > provides a mechanism for the IPMC to review the Podling/Mentor
> relationship.
> > This is something the IPMC needs to do when voting to graduate a
> podling. We
> > should be ALL be doing shepherding work.
>
> I can see what Alan's getting at, though.  Unless the podling is in
> trouble,
> the podling contributors ought to be writing the report.  The people who
> are
> then best placed to give informed feedback on that report are the podling's
> Mentors.  But instead, the people who provide commentary on the state of
> the
> podling community tend to be the shepherds, whose understanding is
> necessarily
> more superficial.  Doesn't that seem strange?

Actually, I don't see it as strange.

More than once while I was actively mentoring a project, a shepherd dropped
in and noticed something that neither the project nor I had been focussing
on.

The mentor (me) was very actively involved in helping the community but the
shepherd distinctly added value.

Shepherds see across many projects and thus can spot common problems
easily.  Mentors focus on a few problems and thus can spot longer-term
problems.  The difference works really well in my experience.  At least I
know that I was able to mentor better with the help.