From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: Next steps for various proposals (mentor re-boot, pTLP, etc.)
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2015 18:47:56 GMT
In the thread "Incubator report sign-off" I posted a mail at Mon 1/5/2015 4:34 PM, it has the
following content (edited for brevity here)"

"Let's think about the work a Director should do when reviewing a report. It’s not reading
the report and then ticking a box. It's reading a report, comparing it to previous reports.
Taking a quick look at the tone of emails on the dev list. Looking at commit activity. Checking
the private list is not too active  and more. We have some great tools (thanks Sam) for helping
with this process, but it's still time consuming. We also have the concept of Shepherds. Those
shepherds are expected to fully review a projects report and status. They will typically spend
10 minutes more than other directors and will be able to answer any questions that come up
in the meeting from other directors.

To really review a project properly takes a good 10 mins for non-shepherds and 20-30 minutes
for shepherds (at least that is how long *I* spend on each report, I think most, if not all,
directors would say the same). This is the case if there is no difficulties. If there are
difficulties you can be talking about hours.

As an example of how long it takes to decide whether or not action is taken let me give you
two concrete examples. Last night I spent just over four hours reviewing the archives of a
TLP to see if a potential problem was actually a problem. I've spent maybe another 2 hours
in email threads on the topic. For another project a different director has spent what I would
estimate to be at least three hours reviewing and addressing an issue while I've spent maybe
an hour tracking those threads to see if I need to  help out. That's just in the last week,
just the items I'm aware of and it doesn't address other things the directors do on a weekly
basis."

Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation