From "Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH)" <Ross.Gard...@microsoft.com>
Subject RE: What is "The Apache Way"?
Date Tue, 13 Jan 2015 16:23:49 GMT
Well, David, I'm afraid you are the authoritative source on the policy you use as an example.
If it's not documented and that's a problem then it's *your* problem. You could (given even
more time to volunteer to the ASF, solve it however you like (e.g. Write the doc, ask the
community to write it, ask for budget to have a contract write it, something else), but it's
you and the infra team that own this.

I hope you won't take this personally, its not meant that way. As a volunteer you do a fantastic
job and we are all immensely grateful. However, you did feed me a perfect way to illustrate
the point I've been trying to make when highlighting docs and saying "patches welcome".

Perhaps it is time we hired a contractor to draw up the one document of truth?

I'm working on the 2015 budget now. Any volunteers to own this? Ownership is ensuring that
the individual gets access to all the appropriate VPs and that those VPs are able to provide
the necessary input.

Sent from my Windows Phone
________________________________
From: David Nalley<mailto:david@gnsa.us>
Sent: ‎1/‎13/‎2015 7:45 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org<mailto:general@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: What is "The Apache Way"?

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:55 PM, Doug Cutting <cutting@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 9:49 PM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>> I think a better analogy would be "US Culture". Yes it is as nebulous
>> as it gets, but the fact that US Constitution exists as a written document
>> makes a LOT of things WAY easier.
>
> Apache's constitution is the corporate bylaws:
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/bylaws.html
>
> US Culture is stuff like Starbucks, Elvis, Manifest Destiny, etc.
> Most of that is not coded as law, thankfully.

Except that there generally aren't authority figures to whom I am
answerable to telling me I am doing it wrong if I don't drink Pumpkin
Spice Latte's while listening to Blue Suede Shoes.

Going back to a conversation from the middle of last year as an
example, there is no documented expectation (unless you consider
Shane's recently created page authoritative) that the canonical source
code repository must live on ASF hardware. Which is fine, we all know
the reason why, but when newcomers show up, they don't, and it seems
like we are a mass of unwritten rules that MUST be followed.

--David