From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Incubator report sign-off
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 12:57:41 GMT

> On Dec 19, 2014, at 9:10 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>
> I noted in my comments on the recent Incubator board report that I am concerned, month
after month, at the number of podlings that have no mentor sign-off at all, as well as the
ones where a minority of the mentors sign-off.

> I certainly don't expect that every mentor has their full attention on a podling every
month, but I do expect that a podling that cares about its incubation will seek out that mentor
sign-off, and that the mentors who have committed to help a podling into the family will have
a few moments every few months to look in and approve a report.

> The result, unfortunately, is that we have projects graduating with no notion of the
importance of reporting, and so we have TLPs that look at reporting as a checkbox, submit
exactly the same cut-and-paste report each month, some of them without even changing stats
and dates, or skip their reporting entirely.

> I don't mean to point fingers here - this is a problem that has existed literally since
the beginning of the Incubator, and I'm not innocent of it myself. Indeed, I don't show up
often enough even on this list.

> But I wonder if we might, as the Board does, reject reports that have no sign-off, and
force projects to report again the following month, in an attempt to require them to engage
with their mentor(s) a little more? This seems like a small, easily reversible, step, that
has a good chance of achieving something.

> Thoughts?

A while back I proposed to make the podlings and mentors accountable.

Podlings would be required to have a minimum of two active mentors.  A mentor is free to become
inactive but must explicitly state this else the mentor risks being removed for not performing
their duties.  Podlings that do not have the minimum of two active mentors are put on hold
until they find enough mentors to fill the quota.  Being put on hold means that no committers
can be added, no PPMC members can be added, and no releases can be performed.  It does not
stop development.

Mentors who do not review and vote on a podlings releases are marked inactive.

Mentors who do not review and sign board reports are marked inactive.

Regards,
Alan