From Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: proposal: mentor re-boot
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2015 18:13:35 GMT
On 07.01.2015 18:42, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
> I’ve written up a more comprehensive proposal that would not only hold mentors accountable
but also give them a fair bit of autonomous authority during releases.

> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MentorRebootProposal <https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/MentorRebootProposal>
>
> What we would gain is transparency and simplicity.  There would be no false expectations.
 Podlings would know where they stand.  Work would be equitably distributed.

> No more layers.  No more additional roles and confusing/diluted responsibilities.  No
more shuffling.

What you're proposing, then, is that we institute mentor licenses with
requirements over and above those for ASF membership. In effect, you'd
create an additional level of earned merit for mentors ... which is
probably a good thing.

What I don't understand is this: where's the motivation for anyone to
submit to this additional burden? There's a lot of stick in your
proposal, but a woeful lack of carrot ... so, most likely not going to
work for a bunch of volunteers.

-- Brane