From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Binary Convenience Package Dependencies
Date Mon, 05 Jan 2015 23:30:33 GMT
On 05/01/2015 jan i wrote:
> On 5 January 2015 at 18:52, Alex Harui wrote:
>>> 2) In [2] it says for Category B: "By including only the object/binary
>>> form, there is less exposed surface area of the third-party work from
>>> which a work might be derived; this addresses the second guiding principle
>>> of this policy. By attaching a prominent label to the distribution and
>>> requiring an explicit action by the user to get the reciprocally-licensed
>>> source, users are less likely to be unaware of restrictions significantly
>>> different from those of the Apache License.”  Does “including” means
>>> “bundling”?  If so, the quoted text must be referencing binary packages
>>> and not source packages since source packages can never include
>>> object/binary forms.  Or does “including” also refer to build scripts that
>>> download an MPL jar like Saxon?
>
> AOO release notes, includes the list of external packages (binary) we use,
> but we do NOT provide the source for these libraries, nor do our installer
> give the user a possibility to download.

Let me just complete this. The OpenOffice SVN repository (but, Jan is
correct, not the source package we ship) does include some libraries
that are under Category A. OpenOffice can be fully built from that
source package, but our users need additional functionality.

So the convenience binaries are configured with --enable-category-b
(yes, we really have a configure option named that way) and include
binary forms of some extra libraries. These are listed and credited not
in the Release Notes, but in the LICENSE file. So credits and notices
are shipped with the binaries.

Again, for convenience of developers, we archive the Category A
materials in SVN, and we archive Category B materials on Apache Extras,
which seemed a wonderful idea to have them permanently archived until
Google decided to pull the plug and shut down Apache Extras...

Regards,
   Andrea.