From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Votes for git repos - commit id vs tag
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 02:54:49 GMT
On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Ryan Blue <blue@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Given that there is confusion on this, I think we should decide whether it
> is required or not and update the docs to be more clear. Does that require a
> vote?

Although many consider it best practice for release tarballs to be tied back
to a specific version control identifier (including me), Apache release policy
does not require it.

Here is Leo Simons making the case against...

  http://markmail.org/message/2ncepopzgnshtyd6

... and here is a link to the most recent discussion I can recall...

  http://markmail.org/message/huhuicrjbwy2i25x

... which resulted in the Incubator's Release Checklist...

  http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list

... and a list of optional checklist items, including the concern at hand:

  http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ReleaseChecklist

    Each expanded source archive matches the corresponding SCM tag.

      It is important that any release can be reproduced from the source at
      any time in the future.  Apache releases have long active lives and are
      permanently archived.  It may be necessary (for example, for legal
      reasons) to provide a new release that is a slight alteration of a
      previous release.  Release managers owe it to those who come afterwards
      to use build processes that are reproducible.

In my view, the Incubator should not make such practice mandatory unless there
is an ASF-wide policy change.

Marvin Humphrey