From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubator report sign-off
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2014 20:06:06 GMT

> On 29 Dec 2014, at 14:46, Ross Gardler (MS OPEN TECH) <Ross.Gardler@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> In Apache there is no such thing as a "Project Leader"
>
> The PMC Chair has no more authority over the project than anyone else.
>
> The PMC Chair absolutely does *not* have the power to dissolve the PMC. Only the Board
of Directors have that authority and they will only do that at the request of the PMC as a
whole (or when there is no active PMC to make such a request).

> Ross

Thanks, Ross, for the reminder!
louis

project leader as one in the same.

> Honorary: The community elevated one member as lead and assigned the Chair role out of
respect.

> Practical: The PMC Chair has the power to dissolve the PMC, and is an officer of the
Foundation. Nobody else on the project has such power nor indemnification. "Secretary" as
a term does not adequately encompass that.

someone with a lot of spare cycles.

>>> The job of the PMC chair is almost entirely administrative.
>>> They are the link between the board and the PMC and their main role
>>> is to ensure the board gets timely reports and to feed back comments
>>> from the board.
>>>
>>> If a PMC is relying on the chair to drive it forward technically,
>>> then I think something has gone wrong with the PMC.
>>>

>> Indeed. Big +1 on this.
>>
>> There are some projects that I've been watching lately where the PMC chair is viewed
as the project lead, and that has a number of problems that go along with it. The PMC chair
is a secretary, whose job is to file the right paperwork. A *hugely* important role, but not
a technical lead role.