From Louis Suárez-Potts <lui...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubator report sign-off
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2014 23:09:53 GMT
Are we top posting now?

My comments below Ross’

> On 19 Dec 2014, at 16:33, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>
> As a participant, I have two concerns about a player-mentor requirement.
>
> 1. Sustainability.  In many ways, it is mentors who need to have their attention on The
Apache Way and cultivating a sustainable project.  That means, from my perspective, that mentors
need to encourage others to do things, especially around project management and procedural
matters, and not just take on matters without leaving any bread crumbs.  It seems important
that others learn how to do that sort of thing too, whether or not special karma is eventually
required to perform the same activities.

> 2. I have learned repeatedly, and it is evidently well-known, that a developer is his
own worst project manager.  It has to do with attention being at a completely different place
when heads-down in development tasks than when heads-up watching the horizon and keeping objectives
and current effort aligned. When I am in developer mode, I need someone else to pull my attention
out of the weeds and look to see what course I am on and where I am at on that course.

> I remember in the 60s when a colleague had ended up managing a project at GE Medical
Systems (or something similar) and he confessed that his team made a terrible mistake -- they
allowed him to program on their project.

> I'm not saying that a mentor could not be an effective player. I think doing it well
while mentoring is not common and it might interfere with training and development as well.

> - Dennis

code, voting on releases and generally engaging with the community, they would be a better
mentor since they have a vested interest in the project itself. Sure, we might reduce the
number of projects coming into the foundation but (IMHO) that is not a problem. Our goal as
a foundation is not to be large, it is to be high quality.

> [ …
> ]

Accepting Dennis’ point, but I think that there’s a difference between being in a large
corporation doing in-house work and participating part time as a mentor. It’s as if I were
(as I do) to teach courses after work that relate to my expertise but are not identical to
it, if only because I like to think that I’m more advanced than any student I’d have.

In prior instances where we’ve had mentors, or where I know of them, e.g., Mozilla’s Firefox
extension program at Seneca College, Toronto, where the lead instructor of the classroom of
students (as well as of individual pupils) is a developer at Mozilla. (He’s paid indirectly
by Mozilla to teach, I believe; that, at least, was at the arrangement we had with Seneca
for OpenOffice instruction, and ours was modelled on Mozilla’s.) In fact, the argument presented
to me by the instructor was that it was essential to be an active developer, at least if one
were instructing students on both the collaborative dynamics as well as the code itself. To
be sure, one need not be immersed in the project (i.e., have it as a day job), but being engaged
and current with the latest was important.

But to stipulate it as a requirement? Why? Why make it a requirement and not just a recommendation,
albeit a strong one? the only thing gained by making it a requirement—and in bold, too—is
to have a tool by which one could eliminate candidates. And I do not think that is in the
spirit of a pragmatic open source project.

louis