From Peter Kelly <kelly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] accept corinthia into incubator
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 18:07:45 GMT
> On 4 Dec 2014, at 12:53 am, Jake Farrell <jfarrell@apache.org> wrote:
>
> +0
>
> concerns being:
> - would this project be better suited as a part an existing ASF project,
> AOO or ODF Toolkit

On the difference with AOO - it's a different architecture and very different goals. AOO is
an office suite, while Corinthia is a set of reusable components designed for maximum portability
- including to mobile platforms, which AOO does not and cannot address with its current architecture.
There is substantial expertise within the AOO community that would be relevant to this project,
and we hope there will be interest from some AOO people in getting involved; desires have
been expressed on the AOO mailing list however that for many of the things Corinthia aims
to do, a complete re-write would be the most viable option.

On the difference with ODF toolkit and POI - these are both APIs for accessing specific file
formats, and both written in Java (i.e. a non-starter for iOS). Corinthia instead aims to
abstract over multiple file formats and provide a common API for dealing with these. As with
AOO, there is expertise from these projects that can be leveraged (in fact one of our initial
committers has been involved with the ODF toolkit previously).

> - what is the impact of code from UX Write not being included as a part of
> the proposal to the project

The main impact is that there is no "out of the box" editor that can be run from day 1, either
on iOS or other platforms - currently UX Write is the only such editor. However, an early
priority is to get the editor running within a browser, and subsequently to produce an example
app using a cross-platform GUI toolkit (most likely Qt) so that native apps can be built.
However, we see these as good community-building projects, and an opportunity for others (not
just myself) to have a say in the design in how a fully-fledged application built on top of
the libraries would work.

I would also like to mention that anyone is completely free to build their own iOS apps (either
commercial or open source) on top of the libraries, according to the terms of the Apache license.

--
Dr. Peter M. Kelly
kellypmk@gmail.com