From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Incubator report sign-off
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2014 14:46:04 GMT

On 12/23/2014 03:34 PM, sebb wrote:
>> Flex had three great mentors, but to expect them to be the PMC Chair on
>> >graduation would have been problematic.  They were great mentors because
>> >they had lots of experience from their work on other Apache projects, and
>> >thus didn’t have time to stay active on a new TLP, plus they really
>> >weren’t users or developers of the technology, just our coaches on the
>> >Apache Way, and thus wouldn’t be good Chair candidates as they weren’t as
>> >invested in the technology.  But they did stick around on at least the
>> >private@ lists and continue to do so even 2 years after graduation where
>> >we consult them on occasion.  To require that a mentor be an active
>> >contributor limits the kinds of technologies that can come to Apache to
>> >only those who can interest someone with a lot of spare cycles.
>> >
>> >IMO, the mentors job is to teach, not to lead.
> The job of the PMC chair is almost entirely administrative.
> They are the link between the board and the PMC and their main role is
> to ensure the board gets timely reports and to feed back comments from
> the board.
>
> If a PMC is relying on the chair to drive it forward technically, then
> I think something has gone wrong with the PMC.

Indeed. Big +1 on this.

There are some projects that I've been watching lately where the PMC
chair is viewed as the project lead, and that has a number of problems
that go along with it. The PMC chair is a secretary, whose job is to
file the right paperwork. A *hugely* important role, but not a technical
lead role.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon