From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: Incubator report sign-off
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2014 14:15:02 GMT
This is what happens when I write email like this and then go for two
weeks off of work. Catching up ...

> First of all,*my*  expectation is that multiple mentors on the project
> are more of redundancy or HA consideration. IOW, my expectation that
> a project needs to have at least one active mentor at all times, but
> it doesn't have to be the same person. Thus, I expect at least a signle
> sign-off on the report and I don't mind if it ends up being a single one
> too much.

You make a good point. I have been critical, of late, of projects that
have N mentors, and only 1 or 2 mentors sign off on a report. However, I
think you may have changed my perspective here, and I appreciate your
insight.

> Second biggest expectation that I have is that mentors are extension
> of the IPMC, not part of the poddling. They are akin to professors or
> faculty members -- they are not part of the student body. As such
> we, as IPMC are accountable to make sure that mentors perform
> their duties. My expectation is that it is as unfair to ask poddling to
> actively pursue mentors who are missing in action as it would
> be unfair to ask students to hire detectives to hunt down professors
> who don't show up for class. What is fair, is to provide poddlings
> with a semi-format feedback channel for IPMC to monitor things
> like mentors MIA.

Agreed.

Presumably, projects with no signoff are sent back to report again, with
a scolding note to the MIA mentors. As mentioned elsewhere, we don't
want to punish the podling for underperforming mentors.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon