From Ryan Blue <b...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Votes for git repos - commit id vs tag
Date Tue, 23 Dec 2014 17:36:45 GMT
On 12/23/2014 01:27 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 3:54 AM, Marvin Humphrey <marvin@rectangular.com> wrote:
>> ...Although many consider it best practice for release tarballs to be tied back
>> to a specific version control identifier (including me), Apache release policy
>> does not require it....
>
> As we tried to say above, the timeline gets into play here.
>
> Tying releases to version control is very useful *in the short term*
> for people to verify the release, but in the long term you cannot
> count on it. That's why our release policy centers on tarballs, the
> rest is convenience.

I understand wanting to follow general ASF policy, but I wouldn't mind a
more strict policy for incubating projects, simply because it is much
easier for IPMC members to verify the release when we most need those
careful checks. The release checklist appears to allow requirements
imposed by Incubator policy:

 > Each review item in this list is either required by Foundation-wide
policy and would block a release by any Apache top-level project, or is
required by Incubator policy.

Either way, I think we should clarify this in the documentation to state
whether or not the Incubator requires a git id or svn equivalent, and
where that can be linked to. If we don't require a tarball being tied
back to git, then it doesn't matter whether a tag or id is given for
convenience.

rb

--
Ryan Blue