From Daniel Gruno <humbed...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] TinkerPop: A Graph Computing Framework
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:36:12 GMT

On 2014-12-18 17:28, Sam Ruby wrote:
> On 12/18/2014 11:16 AM, Marko Rodriguez wrote:
>> Hello Jake,
>>
>> When talking with Sam Ruby (cc:d) we voiced our concerns about moving
>> all of our infrastructure over to The Apache Foundation. In particular,
>> our GitHub presence and our public user-mailing list (i.e. tech support
>> mailing list). I have articulated our concerns in the freshly updated
>> proposal.
>>
>> https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/TinkerPopProposal
>> Please see "W. Mailing Lists", "Y. Git Repository", and "X. Subversion
>> Directory".
>>
>> Sam Ruby had stated that using GitHub for source control is an accepted
>> practice now.
>
> Let's split that into two pieces.
>
> Git is a DVCS, which means that it can be at multiple places. Using
> git for source control is an accepted practice at the ASF now.  GitHub
> can be one of the places.
>
> From the ASF perspective, GitHub is a mirror.  From GitHub's
> perspective, the ASF is a mirror.
No, from GitHub's perspective, ASF is the canonical source. There is no
way to twist this into anything else.
It says right on every single Apache GitHub mirror that it is "Mirrored
from http://git.apache.org/...".

You cannot merge pull requests from GitHub via GitHub, that's simply not
going to work, and it should be plenty clear to everyone by now why that
is the case.

With regards,
Daniel.