From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Incubator report sign-off
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2014 20:32:07 GMT
Agreed, it's not worth debating project lead as a formal or informal construct. I don't think
we are on the same page. Certainly some projects have a de facto lead that coincide with Chair
and I'm pretty sure in some cases that is an honorary arrangement agreed to by the community.

> On Dec 29, 2014, at 11:51 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
>

>> On 12/29/2014 01:45 PM, Andrew Purtell wrote:
>> There are honorary and practical reasons why a project may view the PMC Chair and
the project leader as one in the same.

>> Honorary: The community elevated one member as lead and assigned the Chair role out
of respect.

>> Practical: The PMC Chair has the power to dissolve the PMC, and is an officer of
the Foundation. Nobody else on the project has such power nor indemnification. "Secretary"
as a term does not adequately encompass that.

> That's all well and good, however:
>
> 1) I'm not aware of even a single time that the PMC chair has actually unilaterally dissolved
the PMC, and I think the board would have serious objections if that were to actually happen,
as it would indicate pretty serious community failure.

> 2) ASF projects don't have project leads. Sure, a project may, at one time or another,
have a person that is clearly at the forefront of decision making, but to designate them a
project lead indicates dysfunction in a collaboration-based structure.

> This seems a tad of a diversion from the topic, but definitely worth mentioning.

>>> Indeed. Big +1 on this.
>>>
>>> There are some projects that I've been watching lately where the PMC chair is
viewed as the project lead, and that has a number of problems that go along with it. The PMC
chair is a secretary, whose job is to file the right paperwork. A *hugely* important role,
but not a technical lead role.