From "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamil...@acm.org>
Subject RE: Incubator report sign-off
Date Fri, 19 Dec 2014 21:33:47 GMT
As a participant, I have two concerns about a player-mentor requirement.

 1. Sustainability.  In many ways, it is mentors who need to have their attention on The Apache
Way and cultivating a sustainable project.  That means, from my perspective, that mentors
need to encourage others to do things, especially around project management and procedural
matters, and not just take on matters without leaving any bread crumbs.  It seems important
that others learn how to do that sort of thing too, whether or not special karma is eventually
required to perform the same activities.

 2. I have learned repeatedly, and it is evidently well-known, that a developer is his own
worst project manager.  It has to do with attention being at a completely different place
when heads-down in development tasks than when heads-up watching the horizon and keeping objectives
and current effort aligned. When I am in developer mode, I need someone else to pull my attention
out of the weeds and look to see what course I am on and where I am at on that course.

I remember in the 60s when a colleague had ended up managing a project at GE Medical Systems
(or something similar) and he confessed that his team made a terrible mistake -- they allowed
him to program on their project.

I'm not saying that a mentor could not be an effective player. I think doing it well while
mentoring is not common and it might interfere with training and development as well.

 - Dennis