From Ted Dunning <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Graduation of Apache Drill from the Incubator
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2014 06:02:05 GMT
On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 9:11 AM, Sean Owen <srowen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think projects, realistically, get
> driven by companies, and necessarily often start around one company. A
> bit more diversity here would be good but hey. I take the message that
> being an Apache project doesn't signify as much as is advertised (see
> link above) about the 'community support' or diversity. Maybe just how
> it is now and no big deal, but thought I would ask. Thanks for
> indulging.

Drill is working hard on diversifying.  Large contributions are coming in
as we speak from new contributors and if followed up, these should lead to
committership before long.

But we really should look at other projects like Knox and Ambari which have
graduated without even much lip service paid to diversity to judge the
standards.  Even now, Knox has one emeritus non-Horton committer and one
ex-mentor from elsewhere.  That is "diversity" there.

With Drill you have a project whose ethos involves very strongly welcoming
newcomers and welcoming their contributions.  A very different kettle of
fish.