From "P. Taylor Goetz" <ptgo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Project Idea - TagSheets
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2014 18:15:55 GMT
Scott,

Do you have a codebase and community for TagSheets, or is just an idea at this point? If not,
you should probably work on building those prior to proposing it as an incubator project.

More information on the incubator proposal process can be found here [1].

- Taylor

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html

On Oct 2, 2014, at 10:59 AM, Scott McFarland <hiddenfire65@live.com> wrote:

> Sorry for my confusion, if you want to see those markup screens, they're visible at
> http://tagshets.blogspot.com/ .
> From: hiddenfire65@live.com
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
> Subject: Project Idea - TagSheets
> Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 13:43:02 -0400
>

> I watch Analysts put their data into spreadsheets – Inventory data, bug/issues data,
other miscellaneous data.  And see them struggle to fit new types of data items into their
existing set of spreadsheet columns.  And see them struggle to find ways to correlate like-type
items (frequently done by creating new columns to capture relationships).  And see them traversing
up and down the sheet, unable to easily surf from one item to a related one.
> I think that the world is ready for a more loosely-defined type of “sheet”, that
is to a traditional spreadsheet what a NoSQL database is to a relational database.  Less regimented,
more flexible.  And, Twitter’s popularity has made the “Hashtag” concept intuitive to
a wide audience.  Hence I propose development of a “TagSheet” mechanism to store data,
that captures relationships between entities by means of associating hashtags to them.
> This might quickly fill a niche for users who resist complex tools – who reflexively
reach for spreadsheets when they need to track information.  It is a nice fit for inventory
management, to start with.
> Attached are two markup screens that show what a TagSheet could look like.  I see it
as a small web application, built with Java and JSP, that can run under any web server.  Does
anyone think that this concept is one that Apache would want to develop and promulgate?