From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com>
Subject Websites, WebApps, and Release Policy
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2014 16:51:56 GMT
Hi Incubator Folks,

My understanding is that changes to a website like flex.a.o don't require
a release vote, even though one could consider and html file pushed to the
site as publishing source beyond the group that owns it.

But what about web apps?  Apache Flex is designed for creating web apps
made from source code that is compiled into a SWF.

Today, Apache Flex announced the release of Tour De Flex.  The source code
is in one of our git repos, the source package is up on dist.apache.org,
and a compiled version of the source is on flex.a.o here:
http://flex.apache.org/tourdeflex/explorer.html

Users are playing with the app at that link and reporting bugs.  I'm
wondering: can we modify the source with a bug fix and post the modified
source and compiled results on flex.a.o without a release vote?  Tour De
Flex is potentially different from most web apps because its job is to
show you the source code behind the scenes.  Most web apps can be
published without their source.

Also, can we make other modifications?  One user found that a link was
broken and we fixed it by copying an asset to where the source said the
link was.  Therefore what is on flex.a.o right now is no longer the
compiled results of the source.

Thanks,
-Alex