From jan i <j...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issues raised during Optiq 0.9.0 release vote
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:27:01 GMT
On 25 August 2014 20:17, Julian Hyde <julian@hydromatic.net> wrote:

> A few issues were raised during the vote for Apache Optiq 0.9.0
> (incubating) [0]. I started a separate thread to avoid muddying the vote. I
> address them below.

thanks, see my comments below.

> On Aug 23, 2014, at 10:36 AM, jan i <jani@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > I am a bit concerned about the xml files. suppressions.xml references:
> > <!DOCTYPE suppressions PUBLIC
> >        "-//Puppy Crawl//DTD Suppressions 1.1//EN"
> >        "http://www.puppycrawl.com/dtds/suppressions_1_1.dtd">
> >
> > and checker.xml does not have any dtd reference. These are just examples,
> > it continues. Its not a problem, I would just have expected the project
> > supply their own .dtd files and use them for all xml files.
>
> This DTD is used as a URI that represents the particular version of the
> XML grammar and is not referenced at run time. (As evidenced by the fact
> that the project can be built using “mvn -o”, i.e. offline.) If we copied
> the DTD it would lose its effect of specifying the particular version of
> the XML grammar. Other projects (e.g. Hive) use the same DOCTYPE header for
> their checkstyle suppressions file.

That is an absolutely valid reason, please have it documented.

Assuming the XML files are internal files, it would be nice to see a dtd. I
think its a good policy that every xml file references a dtd file, so that
external tool can verify that is is syntactical correct.

> > Sources look ok from a license perspective (it is a bit confusing though
> > that src is nearly empty).
>
> Not much in root src because it is the parent module (i.e. serves to
> combine several child modules); most of the code is in child modules,
> principally core.
>
> $ for i in $(find . -name src); do wc $(find $i -type f) | awk -v i=$i '$4
> == "total" {print NR, $1, $2, $3, i}'; done
> Files   Lines   Words     Chars Directory
> =====  ====== ======= ========= ================
>    34   6,546  21,753   195,415 ./avatica/src
>   964 263,367 927,737 8,710,388 ./core/src
>    20   3,077  12,147   127,812 ./mongodb/src
>    15   1,979   7,719    70,028 ./plus/src
>    15   1,480   5,061    51,791 ./spark/src
>    20   2,514   8,548    78,994 ./splunk/src
>     5     733   2,770    35,749 ./src
>     3     258     948     7,639 ./ubenchmark/src

Not a problem at all, your explanation is good, I just wondered
why.....again why not have a simply text file in there explaining just that.

thanks for adressing my minor issues.
rgds
jan i.